ANDHRA SPECIAL SWEET PONGAL
Sweet Pongal is a kind of Jaggery rice, usually eaten during festivals.Very simple to make but spectacular in taste, the ordinary rice becomes mouthwateringly extraordinary in sweet pongal. The rice soaks up the milk, absorbs the jaggery, picks up the cardamom scent and takes up the generously added moong dal, cashews and golden raisins.
Green gram dhal
: 1/2 cup
Small piece nutmeg grated or powered
Roast dry the green gram dhal for a couple of minutes.
- Cook the rice and green gram dhal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk in the microwave and set aside.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt.
- Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- Add the cooked rice and dhal.
- Heat the 4 tbsp ghee.
- Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add t o the pongal.
- Add the powdered cardamoms,cloves nutmeg and saffron.
- Mix well.
- Serve hot.