Older children enjoy cake as an occasional treat but plain sponge cakes can be a little boring for them. Carrots have been added as they add variety and also provide substantial amounts of vitamin A and fibre.The carrot softens in the cooking process, and the cake usually has a soft, dense texture. The carrots themselves enhance the flavour, texture and appearance of the cake.
Coarsely chopped nuts
: 175 ml
Powdered fruit sugar
: 250 ml
Whole wheat flour
: 75 ml
All purpose flour
: 300 ml
In a large bowl, blend sugar, oil and vanilla. Add eggs and beat well. In small bowl mix flours, salt, soda, cinnamon and cloves.
- Stir in nuts. Stir dry ingredients into wet. Fold in carrots.
- Turn into 3 liter microwaveable bundt pan. Microwave 10 minutes, rotating dish 1/4 turn every 4 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes on heat proof surface. Loosen sides and centre.
- Invert on serving plate and cool. Frost or ice with Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting (icing).
- Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting: In small bowl, cream butter and cheese. Blend in sugar and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Spread over carrot cake.