MICROWAVE CHANA DAL SUNDAL
This is prepared during dashera festival in tamil nadu.Sundal is usually prepared and served as prasadhum during navrathri.This can be made spicy or mild as per ones taste.For those who would like to make it for a party it is a perfect accompaniment with a round of drinks.
Chick peas (chana dhal)
: 1/2 cup
Coconut oil (or any other oil)
: 2 tsp
Black gram lentil (udad dhal)
: 3/4 tsp
Asoafoetida powder (hing)
: a pinch
Grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
: 3 to 4 tsp
Place the split chick pea in a microwave safe glass dish or any other microwave safe container.
- Add water to it sufficient to cover the lentils, swirl it once or twice with your hand and drain the water. Soak the lentils in fresh water for at least an hour.
- Place the microwave safe dish with lentils in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes. Continue to cook the lentils in 2 minute increments.
- Skim off the froth from the top of the water when it forms. Also stir the lentils regularly and add water if required.
- The lentils need to be cooked until soft but should not get mushy, each lentil should stand separate. When cooked, remove lentils from dish and place in a different bowl.
- Add coconut oil (or other oil ) to the microwave safe dish and heat on high for 30 seconds or so until the oil heats (will depend on the strength of the microwave)
- When the oil is hot, add split black gram lentil to it and heat on high for 30 secs to a minute.
- The lentil will start to sizzle but will not change color. At this point remove and add mustard seeds to it and heat on high for about 1 minute.
- The lentil would start turning reddish and the mustard seeds would begin to pop. Add green chilli, pinch of asafoetida and heat again for about 30 secs to a minute until the green chillies start to change color.
- Add the cooked lentils to this seasoning, add salt to taste, mix well and heat again on high for about a minute for the flavors to mingle.
- Finally garnish with grated coconut and serve hot or cold as a snack.