CHOCOLATE CHIP DATE NUT BARS COOKIES
Cake mix bars can be as varied as any other bar cookie recipe. Just change the flavor of the cake mix and the add-ins. This recipe for date nut bars is especially nice for bake sales and pot-lucks, because it travels well.
Butter or margarine, softened
: 1/3 cup
Semi-sweet chocolate pieces
: 3/4 cup
In a small bowl pour boiling water over chopped dates.Let cool.
- Lightly grease and flour an 8-inch square, heat-resistant, non-metallic baking dish.Set aside.
- Cream 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup butter until light and fluffy. Add egg to creamed sugar mixture.Blend well.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa. Add date and flour mixture alternately to creamed butter and sugar mixture. Pour batter into prepared dish. Smooth top of batter with spatula.
- In small bowl combine 1/4 cup sugar, semi-sweet chocolate pieces and nuts.
- Sprinkle topping mixture on top of batter and press topping into batter lightly.
- Heat, on roast for 7 to 8 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes.