This very fancy pulao, or mixed rice, is from the Northern Indian state of Kashmir. Although it is a frozen region high in the Himalayas, Kashmir lies along the ancient overland trade routes between Persia and India, and the cuisine is famous for using a huge assortment of nuts and dried fruits from all over Central and Western Asia.
Long Grain (Basmati) Rice
Onion sliced vertically
: A pinch
Wash and soak rice.
- Heat oil in the microwave and add onions till golden brown and remove.
- Microwave whole spices, turmeric powder, add rice and mix well.
- Add half-saffron dissolved in little warm milk.
- Add hot water and mix well.
- Stir once in between, to ensure uniform cooking
- Cook a little. Finish with remaining saffron and cook till grains are separated and done.
- Garnish kashmiri pulao with fried onions, walnuts & cashew nuts.