- To promote, encourage and support the Indian Food Processing Industries and also to raise the technical standards of product quality to match global standards.
- To seek the redressal of the problems which are faced by the Food Processing Industries in India, which are presumed to impede their growth.
- To collect, classify and circulate statistics and many other information relating to Food Processing Industries, Agri-Exports, etc.
- To encourage and do finance research projects which are used to study technical problems relating to the Industry.
- To conduct, promote and finance market research/market studies in India and also abroad on processed food products.
- To render technical, social and financial help to the families of disabled or deceased technical consultants, scientists, food technologists, experts in agriculture, horticulture, marketing, etc., as related to the Food Processing Industry.
- To institute and initiate Awards and Scholarships to encourage scientists, food technologists, administrators, consultants and executives who help in the growth and development of the Food Processing Industry.
- To publish a bimonthly Journal i.e. "Indian Food Packer" as a non-profit activity, which aims to keep the food processing units abreast of the latest worldwide developments in Food Processing Industries.
The Association maintains very much close liaison with the Research Institutions like Central Food Technological Research Institute, Mysore; Defence Food Research Laboratory, Mysore; Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi; Indian Institute of Packaging, Mumbai, etc., and refers the problems of the Industry to most of the institutions for a technological solution. In regard to various matters related to the Food Processing Industries in India, the Association is duly recognised by the Government and it has close interaction with various Govt. bodies, such as :
- Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (Central Committee for Food Standards and its sub-committees)
- Union Ministries of Finance, Agriculture, Commerce, Civil Supplies and Food Processing Industries
- Central Fruit Products Advisory Committee in the Ministry of Food Processing Industry.
- National Horticulture Board (NHB), Ministry of Agriculture
- Agricultural and Processed Food Products Development Authority which is called as APEDA, Ministry of Commerce
- Bureau of Indian Standards
- Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Value Added Tax CYAT)