It works towards a responsive public health sector and responsible private sector with accountability and quality service. VHAI promotes health issues of human rights and development. The beneficiaries of VHAI's programme include health professionals, researchers, social activists, government functionaries and media personnel.
VHAI's primary objective is to make health a reality for the people of India by promoting community health, social justice and human rights related to the provision and distribution of health services in India. VHAI tries to achieve these goals through campaigns, policy research, advocacy, need based training, media and Parliament interventions, publications and audio visuals, dissemination of information and running of health and development projects in difficult areas.
VHAI works for the people who have centered policies and their effective implementation. It sensitizes problems of the general public on important health and development issues for evolving a sustainable health movement in the country with due emphasis on its rich health and cultural heritage.
- To ensure social justice, equity and Human Rights which is a provision and distribution of health services to all, with emphasis on the less privileged millions.
- To promote and also to strengthen medically rational, culturally acceptable and economically sustainable Health Care System in the country.
- To develop sustainable and also innovative strategies to ensure health and overall community development in remote and vulnerable areas through various grassroots level initiatives.
- To provide relief and rehabilitation in the areas affected by disasters and calamities and help the affected rebuild a better life for themselves.
- Health Policy Research and Policy interventions which is for a cost-effective promotive and mainly for the preventive Health Care System.
- Advocacy and lobbying with policy makers.
- Supporting voluntary efforts which is through formation and strengthening of similar developmental initiatives.
- Initiating sustainable Health and Development programmes at the grassroots.
- Developing communication strategies aimed at promoting campaigns and Health education.
- Dissemination of information to wide range of audience.
- Effective Networking with Government, UN and voluntary organizations.
- Responding to disasters and calamities.