Mutton is a good source of Niacin, Iron, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin B12 and Selenium. But it is high in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol.In some parts of Asia, particularly Pakistan and India, the word "mutton" is used to describe both goat and lamb meat.
The flavor of meat is said to be primarily linked to the presence of 4-methyloctanoic and 4-methylnonanoic acid. It can be prepared in a variety of ways including stewed, baked, grilled, barbecued, minced, canned, fried, curried, or made into sausage. There are virtually no religious or cultural taboos on the eating of goat meat in India, with the result that goat is readily available to societies in which eating beef, pork or other meat types is prohibited. Lean meat is an excellent source of minerals required for normal growth and good health.
But those having a high cholesterol level should keep a watch on their intake of mutton. Mutton is an excellent ingredient which can be used to prepare a variety of dishes. Fresh meat is also a good source of K contributing to total K intake. The vitamins thiamine, riboflavin and niacin in lean goat meat is good for health. Mutton is said to boost sexual performance in men, and it relieves menstrual cramps for women. Eating mutton also improves blood circulation, digestive enzymes, and benefits the kidneys in the long run.
- 1 1/2 kg basmati rice
- 1 1/2 kg mutton
- 200 gms ginger (ground)
- 150 gms garlic (ground)
- 3 tsp garam masala powder (clove, cinnamon, cardamom and shajeera)
- 500 gms oil
- 500 gms finely chopped onions
- 250 gms thick yoghurt
- 2 lemons
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp salt (salt to taste)
- Cook mutton with salt, turmeric and ginger-garlic paste for 15 - 20 minutes in a cooker or in a thick-bottomed vessel.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry finely chopped onions until golden brown.
- To this add the cooked mutton pieces and fry for 15 minutes.
- Add the beaten yogurt, chopped coriander and juice of two lemons.
- Take one-and-a-half measures of water for each measure of rice.
- Bring the water to a boil and add washed and presoaked (for 30 minutes) rice and cook until done.
- Add the mutton pieces and cook for 10 minutes. Serve hot with raita (yogurt chutney).
MUTTON KOFTA PULAO
- 500g basmati rice
- 115g onions
- 20g cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon
- 15g ghee or butter
- Salt to taste
- 1 litre mutton stock
For Preparing Koftas :
- 500g mutton, cut into small pieces
- 8 cloves
- 2 eggs
- Small piece cinnamon
- 55g split gram
- 5g ginger
- 5 green chilies
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 30g ghee or butter
- Salt to taste
Mix ginger, cardamoms, cloves, green chilies, boiled split gram with mutton pieces well and blend to a smooth paste.
- To this, add salt, chopped coriander leaves, beaten egg and mix well.
- Then prepare small balls with this mixture and fry in the ghee until they turn golden brown in color.
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry chopped onions, garam masala until they are brown and then add rice and fry for 5 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to a rice cooker, add mutton stock, salt and mix well. Cook until the rice is done.
- Garnish with fried koftas and serve hot.
SINDHI MUTTON BIRYANI
1 kg boneless mutton
- 4 cups rice
- 3 potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 whole green chilies
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 sticks cinnamon, 4 cardamoms & 6 cloves
- Few peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 1 cup yogurt, beaten
- 8-10 dry plums, soak in little water to soften
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- Few strands of saffron, soaked in milk or water
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4-5 tbsp oil or butter
Heat oil or butter in a pan, add cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, peppercorns and fry.
- Then add the onions and fry until golden.
- Add green chilies, ginger-garlic paste and fry for 1 more minute.
- Also add mutton pieces and fry until it is lightly browned.
- Add salt, chili powder, little water and fry the masala.
- Now add yogurt, cover the pan and cook on medium flame.
- After few minutes add water, 1-2 cups to cook mutton till 3/4 tender.
- At the stage when its 3/4 tender, add potatoes, plums, tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add garam masala powder, mix well and remove from fire.
- Soak the rice in water for 1/2 hour. Cook until 3/4 done, with little vinegar and salt.
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed pan and put little oil from gravy in pan.
- Add half of the rice, cover with mutton pieces along with gravy, add chopped coriander leaves, and then with remaining rice.
- Sprinkle saffron water on top. Cover the pan tightly with any heavy weight on top and then keep the pan on medium flame.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Serve with raita and salad.
Note: Serves: 6-8
ANDHRA MUTTON CURRY RECIPE
chillies slit into half
leaves for garnishing
and wash the mutton pieces.
the mutton pieces with marinate ingredients
for 1 hour.
a pan and heat with 4 tbsp of oil.
the green cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
Saute for few secs.
add the chopped onions and green chillies.
Saute till the onion colour turn into golden
brown colour. Then add the marinated mutton
pieces and mix well.
Cook until the oil separates on medium flame.
2 cups of water and cover with a lid and cook
till the mutton is tender.
garnish with coriander leaves.
MUTTON CURRY RECIPE
& garlic paste
1/2 spoon oil in a pan add onions sautee till
it becomes soft and translucent .
tomatoes and fry them all together for about
5 minutes .
them from heat and let it cool for few minutes.
'em into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
3 tbsp of oil in a pressure cooker, add the
ground paste and fry it in the oil for 2 to
3 minutes.Then add the ginger & garlic paste
the raw smell off ginger and garlic goes off,
add the mutton and mix it all well. Fry the
mutton with the masala for 5 to 8 minutes
in medium flame.
add the red chili powder, turmeric powder,
coriander powder , black pepper , salt and
half cup of water into it.
it well so that all of the ingredients mix
together and close the lid of the pressure
cook it until the whistle goes off 4 times.
After that remove from heat and keep it aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a kadai/pan add
cloves, cinnamon, bayleaves, fennel seedsand
curry leaves. After the seeds sputter add
the pressure cooked gravy in to it . Boil
it for a few minutes or till it comes to complete
the gravy is little watery leave it in a medium
heat untill it becomes a bit thick in consistency
and remove from heat.
it with coriander leaves.
LIVER FRY RECIPE
a pan and pour oil in it. Add cinnamon, cloves
and finely chopped onion fry them till it
becomes soft and translucent.
add ginger& garlic paste sautee it till the
raw smell goes off.
finely the cut tomato and little salt mix
it all together till it becomes soft.
add curry leaves, turmeric , coriander and
chilli powder. Fry them all together till
add the washed liver pieces(Make sure you
add some (1/4 tsp)turmeric powder while cleaning
the liver and if there is some small layer
of skin,on top of it remove it).
add enough water to cover the mixture(1/4
glass of water). If you want it to be semi-dry
add some more water.
stir-fry. Cook in low flame.
some pepper when you want it little spicy
and some more flavor.
let it sit in the flame for 15 minutes the
liver fry will be ready. Don't over cook it
it will become hard.
garnish with cilantro.
them with naan, rotis, parathas, rice , idli
2tsp of oil in a pan add cumin seeds and fennel
seeds after it sputter add 1/4 cup of onions
and 2 green chilies fry them till it becomes
that remove from heat let it cool and grind
them with ginger and garlic into a coarse
paste. Heat oil in a pressure cooker add the
ground paste and fry them in medium heat for
about 3 to 4 minutes.
add the mutton with turmeric powder, a glass
of water and little salt. Mix it all together
and pressure cook the mutton for 4 whistle
in medium heat. after that remove from heat
and keep them aside.
its cool just separate the water and mutton
from the pressure cooker. Keep them separately.
heat the remaining oil in a pan add cloves,
cinnamon, bay leaves and the remaining onions
fry them till onions turn into light brown.
Now add the tomatoes with little salt and
red chilli powder, mix it all together and
close the lid of the pan.
it cook covered in medium heat for about 10
minutes. Now add the mutton in the pan and
mix them with masalas and add 1/4 cup of pressure
the curry leaves on top of it. Fry them till
it becomes dry and remove from heat.
them hot with roti or rice.
the mutton into 1 1/2? sized pieces. Roast
the whole spices(mustard seeds,fennel seeds,cumin
seeds,Whole red chillies,fenugreek seeds and
cloves) seperately and grind together coarsely.
mustard oil in a thick-bottomed pan to smoking
point and cook the onions till brown.
the chopped ginger and garlic and Mix well.
Add the coarsely grind ground masala powder.
for half a minute,stirring constantly. Add
mutton,cook on high heat till mutton pieces
are fairly brown.
turmeric powder,red chili powder and salt
and mix well.Cook till oil leaves the masala.
Add sufficient quantity of water,bring it
to boil and cover. Cook till the mutton is
chopped tomatoes and cook on medium flame
for 10mts,or till mutton is fully cooked.
in juice of a lemon. Adjust the seasoning
and serve hot,garnished with coriander leaves.
onions till light brown,add gingergarlic paste,mirchi,salt
and turmeric powder.
them well and now add washed kheema till the
water goes and now add 1tsp garam masala mix
well and add some water and cook in sim and
before removing add remaining garam masala
and off after 5min & garnish with kotmir
Garam masala powder
Chicken masala powder
a pan and add the cut onions, ginger & garlic
paste, Pepper, coriander powder, cloves, cinnamon
Fry them well .Heat 200 gms of oil in a pan,
add the cut onions
the tomatoes, after the tomatoes are well
fried add the cut Mutton, fry them add the
paste & salt. And let the Mutton cook well
with the water in the paste and the water
from the tomato.
the flame and let the chicken cook for 40
the garam Masala and chicken masala powder,
red chilli powder. Then add the mint leaves
and coriander leaves .
the paste simmer and blend with the mutton
, that's very important that there should
be no extra water .
cook the mutton in a low flame.