Bengal is situated in the East coast of India. Bengal cuisine is known for rice and fish. Bengalis cooke their food using mustard oil and spices like zeera, kalaunji, saunf, fenugreek and mustard seeds are used in plenty.
Bengal sweets like Rasugulla and Sandesh are known around the world. Try out this collection of our oriental dishes.
The Bengalis are said to be great food lovers and no wonder their cuisine finds an important place in the Indian cuisine scenario.
BANDHAKOPIR DALNA RECIPE
Cabbage finely sliced
Potatoes cut in small cubes
Fry cubed potatoes in hot oil in a wok until lightly browned.
- Remove from oil and keep aside.
To the hot oil add cabbage. Sprinkle with salt.
Stir and cover.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove cover.
- Add the turmeric, chili paste, cumin, coriander and ginger.
- Stir and fry until the spices are well blended with the cabbage.
- The cabbage should be nearly cooked at this stage.
- Add 1/2 cup water and add potatoes.
- Adjust salt and add sugar to taste.
- Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are cooked and there is practically no gravy in the pan.
- In a frying pan, heat butter. Add the bay leaves and garam masala.
- Stir fry a couple of minutes and pour over bandhakopir dalna.
- Stir the cabbage and remove from heat.
CHOLA DAL RECIPE
Grated fresh cocount
Soak the dal in water for one hour.
- Pressue cook the dal with cloves, cinnamon sticks, turmeric powder, sugar, cardamom powder and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the red chilies, chopped green chillies and ginger.
Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the seasonings to the boiled dal and mix well.
Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coconut and serve hot with rice.
ALU POSTO RECIPE
Potatoes boil peel and cut into thick cubes
Mix the ground paste with 1 Tbsp of water, and smear the potato cubes.
- Heat the oil. First fry the bayleafs and chillies.
- Then add the potatoes and fry on low heat , stirring all the while.
FISH STEAMED IN MUSTARD OIL RECIPE
Fish fillets mariated with a little salt with turmeric powder
Heat mustard oil in a large frying pan, and when hot add the chiles.
- Turn down the heat to low, and fry for 15-20 seconds.
- Add the chopped tomato and fry for 15 more seconds.
- Add the mustard, ginger, 1/4 tsp. of turmeric and salt to taste. Stir and blend together.
- Add the water, raise the heat to medium, and boil for a few minutes.
- Add the fish and cook until done (5-7 minutes), turning once.
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve.
BENGALI SWEET AND SOUR PANCHPORAN SQUASH RECIPE
Hubbard squash peeled and cubed
Onion cut into thin wedges
Garlic cloves finely chopped
Hot red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
Fresh ginger finely grated
Heat the sunflower oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion wedges, garlic, chilli and ginger, panchporan to the pan and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring now and then, until the onions are just tender.
- Add the spices and cook for a few seconds more.
- Add the pieces of squash and tomatoes and toss everything together until well coated in the spicy mixture.
- Put the squash into a roasting tin and bake/roast it for 35-40 minutes, or until the squash is tender and lightly browned around the edges.
- This is delicious served together with mint raita and bengali channa dal.
TOMATOR CHUTNEY RECIPE
frac 18 tsp
Green chillies thinly sliced
Peel and cut the ginger into very thin long strips.
Slice the dates into long strips.
- Heat the oil in a round bottomed pan. Add the Panchforan and the red chilli.
- Wait until it splutters and then add the tomato in it.
- Now add the turmeric powder, salt, sugar, ginger, sultanas and date pieces.
- Reduce the heat and cover the lid of the pan. Allow the tomatoes and the dates to cook.
- Once they are all cooked and it thickensa bit add the green chilli and sprinkle the lime juice over the top of the Chutney.
BENGALI SPINACH RECIPE
Minced green chillies
Trimmed fresh spinach
Soak nuts in warm water for 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain, wash & drain again.
- Heat oil/margarine in a large pot over moderate heat.
- When hot, but not smoking, add the spice seeds & sugar.
- Fry till the seeds darken & the sugar caramelizes.
- Add the ginger, chilies, spinach, nuts, coconut & salt.
- Cover, reduce heat to low & cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, gently turn the spinach over.
- Add water if necessary.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in the nutmeg & heat through for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon & serve.
DHOI OR YOGURT MUTTON KORMA RECIPE
Mutton cut in cubed
2 lbs or 1 kg
Red potatoes peeled
Ginger garlic paste
Garam masala powder
Mix meat, curd, chilli, turmeric and garam masala powders.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, salt and sugar. Reserve for 3 hours. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add whole crushed spices and bay leaves. Add onion paste and brown. Add tomato paste and brown.
- Add meat with marinade. Brown till oil separates.
- Add 2 ½ cups hot water, salt if needed and cook slowly till meat is soft.
DHOI MACCHH RECIPE
Rohufish cleaned and cubed
2 lbs or 1 kg
1 1/2 tsp
Onions ground to a paste
Mix curd, turmeric powder, ground onion, garlic and ginger. salt and oil.
- Apply to the fish and keep aside for 3 hours.
- Heat mustard oil and fry the whole spices.
- Add sugar and salt to taste.
- Add the marinated fish and cook till done.
CHAR CHORI OR VEGGIES BENGALI RECIPE
Cauliflower cut into flowerettes
Potatoes peeled and cubed
Brinjals stems removed quartered
Red pumpkin peeled cubed
Heat oil and add the five kinds of seeds and bay leaves.
- Add the potatoes and cauliflower and stir fry till slightly brown.
- Then toss in brinjals, pumpkin, turmeric, chilli powder, green chillies, salt, sugar, one cup of hot water and cook covered till vegetables are done.