Video - In and Around Kamakshi Amman Temple
Significance of the temple
India has three main cities where the Goddess Shakti is been worshipped. Kanchipuram holds the most important rank among all the three. In the same order, the three places are Kanchipuram, where the Goddess Kamakshi is worshipped, Madurai, where the Goddess Meenakshi is worshipped, and Kashi, where the deity is 'Visaalakshi'.
The main tower near the sanctum (Vimanam) of the temple is gold plated. Also there is a great significance is the Golden Chariot in this temple. The Golden Chariot is taken in a procession around the temple on Friday evenings around 7.00 p.m. This temple also features an Art Gallery with pictures depicting the history of Sri Adishankaracharya and the Shankara Mutt. This imposing temple is also in the site of the annual car festival which is held on the 9th lunar day in February/March.
Rules and Rituals of the temples
The pooja procedure in this temple is as follows:
- Abhishekam which is done 3 times a day. Starting in the Morning at 5:30 a.m. In the Afternoon - at 10:30 a.m and in the Evening at 4:30 a.m. There are special darshan called Santhana Kappu (Sandal Darshan) which is on every Wednesday and Saturday evenings.
- Temple does Pournami Pooja / Navavarna Pooja (Full Moon day) which is held at Night 9:30 p.m. onwards every month
- Saharsranamam Archana (Daily) is done daily in the Morning - 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and in the Evening - 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Ashtothram Archana is done in the Morning - 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and in the Evening - 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
|Thanga Ratham (Golden Chariot) is the chariot festival done only on specific days. In the month of 'Maasi' there is an annual festival of the temple. On the 7th day of this month there are processions which are taken out in a silver chariot. Festivals like Navratri, Aadi, Aippasi Pooram, Sankara Jayanthi and Vasanta Utsavam in Vaikasi are been celebrated with full fervor. Like other temples of Tamil Nadu, the Fridays here falling in the month of 'Adi' and 'Thai' are observed with grand ceremonies.||Nearby tourist places to Kamakshi Amman Temple
How to Reach the Temple
- Through Airways the city of Chennai is the nearest airport to Kanchipuram.
- Through Railways there are various Trains for Kanchipuram which are available from Chennai, Chengalpattu, Tirupati, and Bangalore.
- Through Roadways -Kanchipuram which is 75-km away from Chennai is well connected by a network of roads. There are also frequent buses from the city to Chennai, Bangalore and other places.
- For local transportation bicycles can be hired from the shops near the bus stand.
- Cycle Rickshaws and auto rickshaws are also available on hire to move in and around the city.