Video - In and Around Ossian Temples
Who build the temple and whenThe city of Ossian is said to have been founded by Utpaladeva, who was the Rajput Prince belonging to Pratihara Dynasty. In those times only the city was named as Ukesha or Upkeshapur.
Amongst these temples, Surya (Sun) Temple, Harihara Temple, Sachiya Mata Temple and a Jain temple dedicated to Lord Mahavira get the prime importance. Ossian is regarded as a prominent pilgrimage especially for Osswal Jain community. Ravages of the time have destroyed these temples to an extent, but still their charm attract people to visit the ancient city of Ossian.
Significance of the temple
Mahavira TempleIn 783 A.D, the Jain Temple was built by Pratihara King Vatsa. Dedicated to Lord Mahavira (24th Jain Tirthankara), the temple is considered as an important pilgrimage centre of the Jains. The temple is celebrated for its stunning architecture. The main door is carved with an impression of young maidens on it. One can have a glance of carved pillars adorn the site of the main porch. In another porch, one can find a shade of a little stylish construction. The main shrine is sited on a high platform made of sandstone. The sanctum encompasses the idol of Lord Mahavira. In the hall their are three balconies which make the sanctum well ventilated..
Sachiya Mata TempleThe initial structure of Sachiya Mata temple was built in the 8th century. However in 12th century the present temple was materialized. Sachiya Temple is dedicated to Sachi Mata. Wife of Lord Indra (Rain God), Goddess Sachi is also known as Indrani. The temple complex has two other shrines that are dedicated to Chandi Devi and Amba Mata respectively. Built in many phases, Sachiya Mata Temple can be entered through a series of wonderfully sculpted arches.
Harihara TemplesThe city of Ossian in Rajasthan even has three Harihara temples. These temple here are dedicated to Lord Harihara which is a union of Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu, they are built on a raised platform. The first two temples took their shape in 18th century. Then later in 19th century the third temple was built. All the temples are resplendent with sculptures and architecture is a little different and advanced as compared to the other temples of Ossian.
The Ossian temples carved from raising plinth, pillars and high rising spires are considered as the architectural masterpieces by the scholars like Percy Brown, Herman Goetz and James Burgess as well. The 10th century Sun Temple among the Ossian Temples is often compared to the Konark Sun Temple.
|Although majority of the temples at Ossian have decayed with time and have even lost images of their deities- the one temple that remains vibrant is the shrine of Sachiyamata on a nearby hillock. Built in 1234 AD, this temple was dedicated to Durga or Mahisasura Mardini. Today it has become a very important shrine for Jains.||Nearby tourist places to Ossian Temples
Time to VisitThe Darshan timing for the Ossian Temple is from 06:00 A.M. - 08:30 P.M and the temples are very much decorated at the time of festivals with great splendor.
How to Reach the Temple
- To reach Jodhpur through Air, the Airport is 5 km from the city center. Their are regular flight services which are connected to the city with other major cities in and around Rajasthan. Like the daily flights to Delhi, Mumbai, Udaipur and Jaipur and from here one can hire local transport.
- Jodhpur has Taxis, Auto-rickshaws and Tongas to reach the temple.
- By Railways, Jodhpur is well connected through railway lines. There are a number of trains to Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata which are easily available.The 'Palace on Wheels' also visits this city which is of a royal splendor.
- A very easy and another convenient mode to reach the place of Jodhpur are by road. The main highway which is between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer is via Agoli and Pokaran. This particular highway is well connected with Agra, Ahmedabad, Ajmer, Delhi, Jaipur, Jaisalmer and Udaipur by bus. From here the Auto & rickshaws are best suited for the narrow lanes of the old city.
- You can also explore Jodhpur with a bicycle too.