Sukhi urad dal is also known as Amritsari dal as this dal is very popular in Punjab. This dal is so delicious that it makes us lick the bowl to the last crumb.
Black gram dal (urad dal)
: 1 cup
: 1 large
Ginger piece (chopped)
: 1 small
Garlic flakes (chopped)
: 3 – 4
Green chillies (chopped)
: 2 – 3
Cumin seeds (jeera)
: 1 tsp
Coriander powder (dhania powder)
: 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder
: ¼ tsp
A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
Turmeric powder (haldi)
: 1 tsp
Salt, black pepper and chilli powder
: To taste
Chopped green coriander
: To garnish
Wash and soak dal for 20 mins. in cups of water. Drain the water.
- In a microwave safe bowl add ghee and microwave at 100% power for 30 secs.
- Add all the spices and microwave for 1 min. at 100% power.
- Add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, chillies and microwave for 2 mins. at 100% power.
- Now add soaked dal and 2 cups of water. Microwave (covered) for 12 mins. at 100% power and then at 60% power for 10 – 11 mins. Stir in between.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins. Add green coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with roti / paranthas / naan.