BENGALI CHOLAR DAL
Cholar Dal is a traditional Bengali recipe. Learn how to make Chholar Daal by following this easy recipe.
Cumin seeds (jeera)
: 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder (haldi)
: 1/2 tsp
Bay leaves (tej patta)
A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
Raisins (kishmish) (optional)
: 3 – 4
Salt and black pepper
: To taste
Wash and soak dal for ½ an hour. Drain the excess water.
- In a big microwave safe bowl mix 4 cups of water, soaked dal, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover and boil, at 100% power for 15 mins. and then microwave covered at 60% power for 10 mins. Stir in between.
- In another microwave safe bowl heat oil at 100% power for 30 secs.
- Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, bay leaves, red chillies and grated coconut. And microwave at 100% power for 1:30 mins.
- Mix it with the boiled dal. Add sugar, salt, raisins and amchoor. Microwave covered at 100% power for 3 mins.
- Allow to stand for 5 mins. Serve hot with boiled rice and chutney.