CREAM OF PUMPKIN SOUP
This is a recipe designed for preparation in microwave oven.
Fresh pumpkin, either in the piece or a whole one
: 4 lb
Onions, coarsely chopped
: 2 1/2 cups
Cut the pumpkin into wedges like melon. Remove the seeds and wash and dry them.
- Arrange on a plate into a single layer. Toast lightly, uncovered, on Full for 4 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then crack open the husks and remove the inside seeds. Reserve. Peel the pumpkin and cut the flesh into fairly large cubes.
- Put into a large bowl with the onions and toss well to mix. Cover closely with plastic wrap but do not slit. Cook on
- Full for 30 minutes, turning the bowl four times.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Work the pumpkin, onions and cooking liquid to a puree, in several batches, in a blender or food processor. Return to the bowl.
- Stir in the salt and milk. Mix the cornstarch smoothly with the water and add to the puree with the nutmeg.
- Reheat, uncovered, on Full for 7 minutes, whisking every minute. Ladle the soup into bowls or cups.