DINNER TIME SOUP
A hearty soup, great for a cold, blustery winter day. It is best cooked one day ahead, refrigerated overnight and heated just before serving.
Head white cabbage, chopped
Carrots, peeled and diced
: 4 large
Onion, peeled and coarsely grated
: 200ml (3/4 cup)
: 375ml (1,1/2 cups)
: 750ml (3 cups)
: 500ml (2 cups)
: 1, 400g
Place chopped cabbage into an 8-litre soup pot.
- Microwave diced carrot in 2 tablespoons water for 6 minutes on high.
- Microwave diced celery in 2 tablespoons water for 4 minutes on high.
- Add the microwaved vegetables to the pot along with the remaining ingredients. Fill the tomato can with water and add to the soup mixture. Repeat.
- Cover and bring soup to the boil. Continue boiling for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- Serve with slices of baguette. Have salt, black pepper and Tabasco Sauce available to season to taste at the table.