A tasty seafood dish from Malabar ,Kerala. The fish biriyani doesn't have lot of masala unlike the other Biriyanis but it simply tastes excellent. They also include curry leaves which impart a fine taste to the Biriyani.
Yellow tail or other firm fish
: 750 gram
: 3 ripe
Mix the spices with 50 ml oil and use to coat the fish (cut into 6 pieces). Leave to marinate for 1 hour. Heat the remaining oil in a casserole dish for 2 minutes on high.
- Microwave fish on each side for 2 minutes on high. Remove fish from the casserole dish.
- Microwave onion in remaining oil for 3 minutes on high. Add ginger and garlic and microwave for 2 minutes on high.
- Add tomatoes and chutney and microwave for 4 minutes on high. Replace fish and mix carefully. Check seasoning and add lemon juice.
- In a separate dish combine the rice, lentils, water, salt and turmeric. Microwave covered on high for 15-20 minutes. Stir twice during cooking time.
- Keep covered and set aside for 10 minutes. Spread half the rice and lentil mixture in a microwavable dish and place the fish on top.
- Layer the remaining rice mix on top. Dot with butter and microwave for 15 minutes on medium high. Portion and place in freezer bags.
- Freeze until needed and reheat in a microwave oven.