Harbara salad's main ingredient is green gram which is supposed to be very healthy.
Tender fresh green gram
: 1 cup
Onion finely chopped
: 1 medium
Fresh coconut sraped fine
: 2 tbsp
Coriander leaves finely chopped
: 1 tbsp
Mustard & cumin seeds
: 1/4 tsp
If gram is not very tender, microwave a little as shown in introduction.
- Or boil with a pinch of soda bicarb, drain, hold under cold running water.
- Drain, pat dry. Heat oil in a sauce pan.
- Add seeds, asafoetida, allow to splutter.
- Add ginger, stir. Add onions and slit chillies.
- Stirfry till onions are tender and pink.
- Cool to room temperature. Keep aside 1 tbsp. coconut, a little coriander.
- Mix all remaining ingredients into onions.
- Toss with a fork till well mixed.
- Pour into salad bowl, garnish with coconut and coriander.
- Serve cold.