This is a another simple dish to prepare and is good for health as it has the flavor of cumin seeds. Pea Pulao is also known as Yellow Rice. It is a great alternative to plain boiled rice and accompaniment for any main course, be it vegetarian or meat-based.
Rice, picked, washed and soaked
: 1 cup
Shelled peas, frozen or fresh
: 1 cup
Black cumin (shahzeera)
: 1 tbsp
Black or 3 to 4 - green cardamoms
Put the oil in a large, flat bottomed microwave-safe dish. Microwave at 100% power for 3 minutes.
- Add cumin and whole spices. Continue to cook at the same power level for 2 minutes.
- Add the sliced onions and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add the peas. If they are not frozen, add 2 tbsp. water, cover and Microwave at 100% power for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and water in which it was soaked, along with salt.
- Cook uncovered at 100% power for 10 minutes, then reduce power level to 70%, cover and complete cooking for another 4 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- For 2 cups rice, double the timings.