The authentic Peshawari Dal Makhani, also known as 'Dal Sigree',sigree being the stove it is cooked on.This is cooked with aromatic spices and goes best with steaminh hot naans.
White gram (dhuli urad)
: 1 cup
Onions (finely sliced)
: 2" piece
Green chillies chopped
: a pinch
Garam masala powder
: 1 1/2 tsp
Some fresh coriander leaves
: (finely chopped)
Wash the dal well. Soak in hot water for 3-4 hours.
- Put into a microwave safe dish with 4 cups water and turmeric powder.
- Cover and microwave at 100% power for 11 minutes, stirring twice. Stand 5 minutes .Add salt.
- The water should have been completely absorbed and the dal should be tender.
- Heat the oil in a shallow glass dish at 100% power for 3 minutes. Drop the slit green chillies.
- Microwave at 100% power for 4 minutes or till the chillies are slightly wrinkled. Remove and set aside. Into the same oil, drop the ginger.
- Microwave at the same power level for 2.30 minutes. Set aside.
- Pour in a little more oil in the dish and heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions, chopped green chillies and coriander powder and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the dal, along with half the fried ginger, cover and cook at 80% power for 2 minutes or till heated through.
- Stir in the lemon juice and garam masala powder. Serve garnished with green chillies, fresh coriander leaves and remaining ginger. Serve hot.