Potatoes cooked in Poppy seed (also called Poshtodana in Bengal) paste with chillies to give this traditional Bengali speciality.
Poppy seeds (khus khus)
: 2 tbsp
Potatoes peeled and cubed
: 6 big
Dry red chilli(es)
: 3 whole
: 1/2 tsp
Chopped fresh coriander
: to garnish
Roast the poppy seeds on a microwave-safe plate for about 1 minute(s) (stirring mid-way) or till they are very lightly browned and aromatic.
- Cool and grind the roasted poppy seeds along with the green chilli(es) and ver little or a sprinkle of water just enough to make a very fine paste. Keep aside.
- Place the potato cubes in a wide microwave-safe bowl in one layer and sprinkle some oil on them.
- Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 5 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till they are lightly browned. Remove on to a plate and keep aside.
- Now, pour the remaining oil in the same microwave-safe bowl. Add the whole dry red chilli(es), turmeric powder and the poppy seed paste.
- Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the oil has left the sides of the bowl.
- Add now the potato cubes and mix well. Add water and salt. Stir well. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 7 minutes (stirring twice) or till the potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.