POTATOES WITH POPPY SEEDS
A quick but tasty dish, lovley with some bread to eat it with. Potatoes and Poppy Seeds (also called Aloo and Poshtodana respectively in Bengal) combine in an unusual way to give this Bengali speciality.
Poppy seeds (khus khus)
: 2 tbsp
Potatoes peeled and cubed
: 6 big
Smoked mustard oil or any other cooking oil
: 3 tbsp
Dry red chilli(es)
: 3 whole
: 1/2 tsp
Chopped fresh coriander
: To garnish
Roast the poppy seeds on a microwave-safe plate for about 1 minute(s) (stirring mid-way) or till they are very lightly browned and aromatic.
- Cool and grind the roasted poppy seeds along with the green chilli(es) and ver little or a sprinkle of water just enough to make a very fine paste. Keep aside.
- Place the potato cubes in a wide microwave-safe bowl in one layer and sprinkle some oil on them.
- Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 5 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till they are lightly browned. Remove on to a plate and keep aside.
- Now, pour the remaining oil in the same microwave-safe bowl. Add the whole dry red chilli(es), turmeric powder and the poppy seed paste.
- Mix well and microwave uncovered on 70% power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the oil has left the sides of the bowl.
- Add now the potato cubes and mix well. Add water and salt. Stir well. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 7 minutes (stirring twice) or till the potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.