PUNJABI ONION TOMATO MASALA FOR GRAVY
You can make this masala on stove top as well as microwave.
Onions chopped finely in a food processor
: 500 gms
Slightly heaped ginger garlic paste
: 1 tsp
Tomatoes chopped coarsely in a food processor
: 1/2 tsp
Take a large microwave bowl.
- Put the chopped onions and 1 Tbsp oil and cuminseeds.
- Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Then microwave on 600W for 10 minutes.Stir and again keep for another 10 minutes.
- Still cooking at 600 w reduce the time intervals now to 5 minutes and then to to 3 minutes. Stirring in between .
- During the last stage be careful the onions might burn. Stop when onions are golden in colour.
- The total time required would be around 35 minutes at 600w. If you cook at HIGH the time required will definitely reduce.
- Someone guided me not to do prolong cooking at HIGH, so I cook at 600W.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste and mix. Micro again at 600W for 10 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree , chilli powder,and turmeric powder to the masala. Mix well.
- Now Micro at HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Reduce to 600 W and micro for 7 minutes. Stir and micro again for 5 more minutes.
- Now reduce the time intervals to 3 minutes.
- Micro till the whole masala is deep maroon red and not pulpy. It should be dry paste and can form a lump. Most of the water is eliminated.
- So this can safely be kept in the fridge for 8 days.
- These ingredients should make approx.1 cup of masala.