SIMPLE MICROWAVE DHOKLA
In snack shops in Bombay, a very prominent sight is a huge tray on the counter piled high with squares of a delicate and spongy yellow savoury cake called Dhokla.
: 2 cups
Yoghurt, beaten till smooth
: 1 cup
Green Chilly, paste
: 1 tsp
: 1/2 tsp
: 1 tsp
Oil for seasoning
: 2 tbsp
Mustard and Sesame Seeds
: 1 tsp
Grated Coconut and finely chopped Coriander Leaves
: to garnish
Place the gramflour in a bowl. Mix in the beaten yoghurt and warm water. Keep mixing well so that no lumps remain and the batter is smooth.
- Mix in salt to taste and keep aside for about 4 hours to ferment. Once fermented, mix in the green chilly paste, ginger paste and turmeric powder.
- Adjust the seasoning as per taste. In a small bowl mix the oil, soda-bicarbonate and the lemon juice. Stir it into the gramflour batter and mix.
- Pour the batter immediately into a greased microwave proof container or dish( do not fill it to the brim as it will rise) and cover with a plastic wrap.
- Prick a tiny hole in the plastic wrap for the steam to escape.
- Microwave on high (100%) power for about 2 minutes or till done (allow to stand for a minute before checking doneness) and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into it. Once it has cooled, cut into squares and place in a serving dish.
- Pour the oil for the seasoning in a microwave-safe deep bowl. Toss in the mustard seeds and microwave covered on high (100%) power for about 4 minutes till they splutter.
- Add the sesame seeds and stir till they are light brown and aromatic. Pour this over the steamed dhoklas. Serve hot garnished with: grated coconut and coriander leaves Green Chutney (Hari Chutney) and or tomato sauce.