This receipe is kind of gravy and spicy, but it can also be had with just plain rice/chappati as a curry and its also a good replacement for potato for people who count calories.
Green chilli(es) chopped
Grated ginger and garlic
: 1 tsp
: 1/2 tsp
Cumin and coriander powders
: 1 tsp
Turnips peeled chopped fine and washed(about 20oz.)
: 500 gms
Finely chopped coriander leaves
: To Garnish
In a microwave-safe bowl, mix the butter / oil with the chopped green chilli(es), ginger, garlic and chopped onion(s).
- Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 4 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the onions are lightly browned.
- Now, add the chopped tomato(es), turmeric, cumin and coriander powders.
- Microwave uncovered on high (100%) power for about 3 minutes (stirring mid-way) or till the fat leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Add the chopped turnips and salt. Mix well. Add the water and stir well. Microwave covered on 70% power for about 14 minutes (stirring at regular intervals) or till the turnips are tender and the moisture has evaporated.
- Add the sugar and very lightly mash the cooked turnips.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves.