So here's an easy and quick, and traditional (almost) Tamil recipe that's a lifesaver and a timesaver on busy weeknights. I served it with hot, boiled rice, some roasted potatoes and papad or poppadum for a delicious and near-effortless meal.
: 1/2 tsp
A generous pinch of asafetida (hing)
Canola or other vegetable oil
: 1 tbsp
Heat the oil in a saucepan
- Add the mustard seeds and when they sputter, add the asafetida
- Add the green chilies and curry leaves and stir.
- Add the sambar powder and turmeric and stir, then add the cooked dal and tomatillos.
- Allow the masial to come to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer on a low flame for about 5 minutes.
- If the masial is too thick, add water. If it's too thin, mix 1 tbsp of rice flour in a quarter cup of water and add to the masial.
- Add salt to taste. Add coconut shreds and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with boiled rice.