Oyster is a good source of Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese and Selenium. It is high in Sodium, and very high in Cholesterol.
They are high in Omega-3 fatty acid as well as taurin.. Their nutritional value is compared to and exceeds that of milk. Oysters contain more proteins and carbohydrates than milk, essential minerals and vitamins, but almost none of the fat for which milk is famous. Of late consumption of fresh and natural seafood including shellfish has been on the rise around the world and particularly in India. Contrary to the popular misconception, oysters are extremely low in fat, cholesterol and calories, while being high in essential minerals. oysters offer fewer calories and about the same level of cholesterol as white-fleshed fish, and are much lower in fat, cholesterol and calories when compared to poultry.
Oysters are not only delicious, but they're also one of the most nutritionally well-balanced of foods, containing protein, carbohydrates and lipid. It is now included in low-cholesterol diets. Oysters are an excellent source of vitamins A, B1 (thiamin) B2(riboflavin), B3 (niacin), C (ascorbic acid), and D (calciferol). Four or five medium size oysters supplies the recommended daily allowance of iron, copper, iodine, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese and phosphorus. We present some easy to do oyster—based recipes for your perusal and preparation. Give them a try.
OYSTER BAKE RECIPE
In 9 x 13 inch baking dish, alternate layers of crackers, oysters and butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour..
GRILLED OYSTERS RECIPE
Hot pepper sauce or tabasco
Clean oysters thoroughly so that no dust or mud is left in the shells.
- Take a wok or a heavy foil that has several holes punched through it and place it on the grill grate.
- Arrange all the oysters on the grill and close the lid.Grill for about 6 minutes.
- When the shells open up, remove from heat and scoop out the mussels from the shells.
- Pour some melted butter and sprinkle over some salt and black pepper powder.
- Serve piping hot with an accompaniment of tabasco and worcestershire sauce.
OYSTER DRUMSTICK CURRY RECIPE
Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds and cumin, allow it to splutter.
- Add curry leaves and tomato puree; Saute well.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder; suate well.
- Boil oyster and drumstick separately with a pinch of salt and turmeric.
- Add boiled oyster and drumstick into it.
- Add coconut and cumin paste.
- Allow it to boil.
OYSTER VALENTINO RECIPE
Scrub and wash oysters thoroughly.
- Dry them on a towel.
- Take an oyster knife and pry open the oysters. Discard the top lid.
- Loosen up the membrane of each oyster. Line a baking tray with rock salt.
- Place the oysters in the baking tray. Wash red bell pepper and Jalapeno peppers and wipe dry.
- Rub them with a little olive oil and place them on a cookie sheet spread on a tray.
- Increase oven to broil and place tray under the broiler.
- Broil the peppers till the skin breaks. Let them cool down and then peel the skin.
- Next, dice the peppers finely after removing the insides.
- Use a knife to remove the seeds of the pepper as they are very hot and the essence may remain in your hands.
- Mix olive oil, lime juice, chopped parsley, peppers, breadcrumbs and grated Romano cheese together.
- Spread equally on top of each oyster.
- Bake at 450°F in an oven for eight to ten minutes or until light brown.
FRIED OYSTER OMELETTE RECIPE
Mix tapioca flour, plain flour, rice flour and water to form batter.
- Heat 10 tablespoon oil in frying pan till hot. Reserve 1 ladleful of batter and pour the rest into pan.
- Once batter solidifies, pour in beaten eggs.
- Cut through batter with frying ladle so as to allow egg mixture to flow to the bottom.
- Pan-fry till bottom layer is golden-brown.
- Drizzle with fish sauce or light soy sauce. Cut omelette into smaller pieces with frying ladle.
- Push to one side of pan, leaving a hole in middle. Toss in oysters and remaining batter.
- Stir-fry quickly for half a minute. Dish up. Sprinkle with coriander leaves, spring onion and pepper.
- Serve immediately with chilli sauce.