Severe pain in the bone joints and knees is termed as Gout. There would be swelling of some other body parts as well for this Grout condition. The reason for Gout is bad dietary practices. Also genetics plays an important role in the onset of Gout. Presence of uric acid crystals in joints causes inflammation of joints. Uric acid is formed during metabolism of food and building up of body tissues. When the level of uric acid increases in blood than normal levels, the uric acid forms microscopic crystals in joints. These crystals lead to inflammation of joints. Gout normally attack middle-aged people. Men and women both are equally susceptible to this disease. Approximately 5 million people in the United States suffer from gout.
Gout is nine times more common in men than in women. It predominantly attacks males after puberty, with a peak age of 75. In women, gout attacks usually occur after menopause. An initial attack of gout (50% of initial attacks involve the big toe) may last several days and disappear even if untreated. Subsequent attacks may not occur for weeks, months, years, or not at all. In severe cases, repeated attacks occurring over a long period may cause damage to the joints and loss of mobility. The big toe is eventually affected in 90% of cases.
Yoga and GoutYoga Asanas can be described as the third one in the eight limbs of Yoga. Asana, which literally means staying or abiding, is basically a specific body position, attained by following certain steps. It is through asanas only that a human being achieves the unity of body and mind, which is the essence of yoga. Yogic asanas, commonly known as postures or posse in the west, are created for the purpose of improving the overall health and well-being of a person. When a person is performing an asana, there is a corresponding balance between his movements and stillness. If performed in a right manner, these Yoga poses or positions help to tone muscles, lubricate joints and massage the body. Not only this, the asanas also enhance body endurance and increase flexibility. These postures bring physical and mental stability, along with health and vigor; they exercise the nerves, glands, ligaments, and muscles. It is observed by medical practitioners all over the world, that people, who perform yoga daily, have lower blood pressure, treating gout, improved flexibility, better sleep, better concentration, better coordination and an improved digestion.
YOGA POSES FOR GOUT
Eagle PoseSupplies fresh blood to the reproductive organs and the kidneys, increasing sexual power and control. It helps firm calves, thighs, hips, abdomen, and upper arms. It also improves the flexibility of the hip, knee, and ankle joints and strengthens the latissimus dorsi, trapezius, and deltoid muscles.
Spine Twisting PoseSpine Twisting Pose is the only exercise that twists the spine from top to bottom at the same time. As a result, it increases circulation and nutrition to spinal nerves, veins, and tissues. It improves spinal elasticity and flexibility of the hip joints. It helps to cure lumbago and rheumatism of the spine, improves digestion, removes flatulence from the intestines, and firms the abdomen, thighs and buttocks.
Hands To Feet PoseIncreases the flexibility of the spine and the sciatic nerves and of most of the tendons and ligaments of the legs, and strengthens the biceps of thighs and calves. It also greatly improves blood circulation in the legs and to the brain, and strengthens the rectus abdominus, gluteus maximus, and oblique, deltoid, and trapezius muscles.
Locust PoseThe Locust Pose is an excellent back strengthener. It is especially recommended before doing poses that require extreme flexibility simply because it builds the strength needed to support the flexibility that will accrue over time.
Awkward PoseStrengthens and firms all muscles of thighs, calves, and hips, and makes hip joints flexible. It also firms the upper arms. It increases blood circulation in the knees and ankle joints and relieves rheumatism, arthritis, and gout in the legs, and helps to cure slipped disc and lumbago in the lower spine.
Toe Stand PoseDevelops psychological and mental powers-especially patience. Physically, it helps to cure gout and rheumatism of the knees, ankles and feet. It also helps cure hemorrhoid problems.
YOGA ASANAS FOR GOUT
Shavasana is relaxation of body and mind in the position of lying on the back. This asana helps in relaxing mind and body and helps in restoring energy. It is a relaxing posture intended to rejuvenate one's body, mind and spirit. While shavasana is a good way to reduce stress and tension it is not recommended for meditation as it has a tendency to induce sleepiness.
- Lie on the back. Keep your spine, navel & pelvic in one line.
- Keep feet apart. Keep arms on the each side of body, palms facing to sky.
- Keep neck right or left side.
- Close your eyes & slowly try to concentrate each part of the body & try to relax that part.
This asana strengthens the abdomen, especially around the navel, and the chest muscles. It improves the flexibility of the arms, shoulders, thighs, legs, lower back and abdomen. The spine also becomes healthy and strong. It is good for relieving flatulence, constipation and menstrual irregularities. It also prevents sterility.
- Take prone lying position, legs together, hands straight by the side of the thighs, chin resting on the ground.
- Fold the legs at the knees and bring them on the thighs. Knees must remain together.
- Bring your hands backward and hold the toes of respective legs from the thumb and forefinger of the respective hands.
- Raise your legs a little up and simultaneously raise your head and chest.
- Holding the toes pull the legs towards ears and bring the toes near the ear. Gaze in front.
- While returning to this original position, loosen your hands, take legs backward, let the thighs touch the ground, leave the toes and ultimately bring the legs and hand to the first position
It brightens the psychic faculties and awakens Kundalini Sakti, removes all sorts of diseases of intestine and stomach, and augments the mental power. It supplies a large quantity of blood to the roots of spinal nerves. The muscles of the abdomen, the rectic muscles and the muscles of the thigh are also toned and nourished well. Obesity or corpulence and habitual chronic constipation, Gulma, congestion and enlargement of the liver and spleen are cured by this Asana.
- Lie on the back quite flat. Slowly raise the legs.
- Lift the trunk, hips, and legs quite vertically. Support the back with the two hands, one on either side. Rest the elbows on the ground. Press the chin against the chest.
- Allow the back-shoulder portion and neck to touch the ground closely. Do not allow the body to shake or move to and fro. Keep the legs straight.
- When the Asana is over, bring the legs down very, very slowly with elegance and not with any jerks.
- In this Asana the whole weight of the body is thrown on the shoulders. You really stand on the shoulders with the help and support of the elbows.
- Retain the breath as long as you can do with comfort, and slowly exhale through the nose.
This asana is very useful for persons suffering from chronic cough, bronchial asthma, congestion, infected tonsils and other respiratory disorders. Problems relating to thyroid and para-thyroid glands can also be overcome be done to derive the full of Sarvangasana.it is recommended that you breath while holding it for between two and four minutes.
- Sit with your legs fully stretched out. Bend each leg at the knees and place your feet on the other hip joint. Both the heels are adjusted in such a way that each presses the adjacent portion of the abdomen. This forms the foot-lock in a sitting position.
- Bend backwards and, exhaling, rest your weight on the elbows. Push your neck backwards and slightly rise the hip upward thus making an arch of the spine.
- Then, by making hooks of the forefingers, hold your toes on the corresponding side without crossing your arms. This posture should be maintained for some time with slow and deep breathing.
- For reverting to the original position, release the foot-lock and return to the supine position by lowering the arch.
- Sit on the floor with legs outstretched. Fold your left leg and bring the foot under the right hip. Similarly, fold the right leg over the left and place the right heel by the side of the left hip.
- Both the soles should face upwards. Raise your right hand and bend it to bring it behind the shoulder. In the same way, bend your left hand behind the back and entwine the fingers.
- Keep your spine straight. Note that if the right leg is over the left, the right elbow should face upward and the left, downwards. This position may be reversed when the leg position is changed.
- Hold the posture for 30 seconds and repeat reversing the sides.
Paschimottanasana is a fine stretching exercise of the body. In one continuous movement, almost all the posterior muscles get fully stretched and relaxed. This helps to improve the functions of the abdominal organs and sets right respiratory disorders. It also helps to improve memory.
- This posture involves stretching of the posterior muscles of the body.
- While sitting, stretch your legs forward and keep them close to each other. Bend a little forward, make hooks of your fingers and hold the big toes on the respective sides.
- While exhaling, bend forward stretching the trunk along the thighs. Rest your on the knees, which should be kept straight.
- Gradually, the tense muscles can be made supple for securing the complete posture. Inhale and return to the original position
Diseases Related to Pisces