The Indian silk industry is one of the largest generators of employment and foreign exchange for the country. Silk industry also called as sericulture activities are spread across 52,360 villages in India.
India leads a global position in terms of production of commercially useful varieties of silk. India is the second largest producer of silk in the world after China. Sericulture provided employment to over 9.1 million people in India during the last financial year.
Silk Exports from India
- Export of silk and silk products from India reached US$ 246.67 million in FY20.
- The total silk and silk products export accounted for US$ 118.72 million from April 2020 to November 2020.
- The silk products exported include natural silk yarns, fabrics, made-ups, readymade garments, silk carpets and silk waste.
- Readymade garments formed the largest share in export from April 2020 to November 2020 at US$ 50.40 million, followed by fabrics & made ups at US$ 38.56 million and silk carpet at US$ 15.79 million.
- Fabrics & made ups formed the largest share in export between FY20 at US$ 138.95 million, followed by readymade garments at US$ 71.18 million and silk carpet at US$ 20.3 million.