Indian Tea is renowned across the world and is exported to many countries. Indian Tea is known for its distinctive aroma, strength, colour and flavour.
The main tea growing regions in India are based in the North East, mainly Assam, Darjeeling district of Bengal and the Nilgiris in Tamilnadu.India is one of the world’s largest consumers of tea, with about three-fourths of the country’s total produce consumed locally.Tea Exports
- Total tea export stood at US$ 826.47 million in FY20.
- India stands fourth in terms of tea export after Kenya, China and Sri Lanka.
- India was the second largest tea producer in the world with production of about 1,339.70 million kgs.
- In January 2021, estimated production of tea stood at 16.05 million kgs.
- The total tea export was US$ 702.51 million in April 2020 to February 2021 and for February 2021 alone it was US$ 60.18 million.
- India produces a variety of tea, including CTC tea, orthodox tea, green tea and organic tea.