Kerala is a state perched in the south–western end of the Indian sub-continent. It is popularly termed as God's own country with it vast natural beauty of backwaters and coastal areas.
The cuisine of Kerala is said to be spicy and subtle. Kerala cuisine is said to be one of the most delicious cuisines in the country.
Kerala is known for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes. It is a place where rice and fish go together almost three times a day. Indulge in some Kerala cooking using our recipes.
BANANA ERCCHERRY RECIPE
Raw bananas, peeled and cut into short pieces
Mix banana pieces with a little water, turmeric and salt and cook till soft.
- Grind 1 cup coconut, 1 red chilli and cumin to a fine paste.
- Add to mashed bananas and set aside.
- Heat oil and add mustard seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, red chilli pieces, one cup coconut scrapings and fry till golden.
- Mix in the banana mash and serve hot.
TOMATO PACHADI RECIPE
Corainder leaves chopped fine
Grind coconut and mix with tomatoes, cucumber, chillies, salt and sugar.
- Add yoghurt and mix well. Heat oil, add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When they pop, pour over the pachadi.
- Add coriander and serve cold.
CHANNA DAL PAYASAM RECIPE
Cashewnuts and raisins
Dry roast chana dal and then cook in 4 cups water till soft.
- Add jaggery and coconut milk and cook till well mixed.
- Fry cashew and raisins separately in hot ghee.
- Add cardamom powder, mix everything together and serve warm.
White pumpkin peeled cubed
Raw bananas peeled and cubed
Drumsticks peeled cut into 3" pieces
French beans chopped
Wash all vegetables, add salt, turmeric, ground green chillies and curry leaves.
- Cook in a little water pan till all vegetables are soft.
- Grind the coconut finely and mix with the yoghurt.
- Add this paste to vegetables, and cook for a few minutes to blend.
- Heat oil, add red chillies and pour over the aviyal and serve hot.