MADHYA PRADESH RECIPES
Madhya Pradesh is situated in the central part of India. Madhya Pradesh cuisine has a special place among the cuisines of India. It has its own dishes which have evolved over the course of time.
Some popular recipes of Madhya Pradesh are kusli, lavang lata, jalebi, pilaf with peas, indori puri palak ki, baflas, kebabs and a lot more.
The biryani of Madhya Pradesh is also worth mentioning here. Try some of the popular recipes of Madhya Pradesh listed here for your perusal.
INDORI PURI PALAK KI RECIPE
Fresh spinach chopped
Cumin seeds crushed coarsely
Wash and boil spinach in very little water.
- Grind ginger into a paste. Blend spinach with its water and mix till smooth.
- Sieve flour with salt. Make well in centre. Add all other ingredients in well except ghee for frying.
- Knead into a slightly stiff but pliable dough. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Knead again till smooth. Divide into small portions. Roll into 4" diameter rounds.
- Heat ghee, then add two puris at a time. Puff by pressing gently with back of flat slotted spoon.
- Flip and fry other side.
PILAF WITH PEAS AND CARROTS RECIPE
Garlic cloves chopped
Black cardamom pod
Black cumin seeds
Onion cut into half rings
Carrots diced very fine
Wash rice very well. Cover with 5 cups water & soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly. Blend together the ginger & garlic with 1 tb water until you have a paste.
- Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- When very hot, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds & mace.
- Stir once & add onion rings. Stir-fry till the onion turns reddish brown.
- Add garlic-ginger paste. Fry for 2 minutes. Put in carrots & peas.
Stir & fry for 1 more minute.
- Add drained rice & salt. Lower heat a little & stir-fry rice for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups water & bring to a boil. Cover tightly & reduce heat to very low.
- Cook gently for 25 minutes.
Dried coconut grated
Make a stiff-ish dough from the flour, ghee and water. Roll out small circles.
- Separately fry the sooji in the ghee. Add the raisins, badam and cardamom powder. Allow it to cool.
- Place a small quantity of the stuffing - about 3 tsp. - in the centre of each circle.
- Fold in half and edge with a fork.
- Deep fry on medium heat till pink not red.
LAVANG LATA RECIPE
Almonds or cashews or pistas chopped
In a saucepan, boil the sugar with the water till you have a two-string sugar syrup. This is called chasni.
- Keep warm on the stove.
Make a hard dough with ghee and water.
- Roll the dough in circles.
- Fold the three edges in to make a pocket and fill with a random mix of coconut, raisins and nuts and tiny pinches of nutmeg and cardamom.
- Close the fourth flap and anchor with a clove.
- Deep fry in oil on low flame.
- Dip in chasni. And drain.
CASHEW BARFI RECIPE
Grind the cashews in a blender till you have a fine powder.
- Knead the ground cashew with the powdered sugar, milk powder, cardamom, ghee and a little milk.
- Knead till you get a thick buttery dough.
- Roll out and cut into diamonds and bake in the oven till a light golden brown.
Make a batter of the dahi, maida, saffron and yeast with a little oil. Let it rise for several hours.
- In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water till you have a thick two-strand chasni. Keep it warm on the stove.
- Fill the batter into a squeeze bottle (like that used for ketchup) Squeeze shapes into the hot oil and drain quickly.
- Dip in chasni for 1-2 minutes and drain.