Mughlai cuisine is something that came from the kitchens of the Mugal emperors. They were know for their lavish lifestyle and also cuisine. Mughlai cuisine is today widely followed in Delhi and Punjab.
Mughlai cuisine is said to be very rich as it consists more of cream and milk. Mughlai recipes are rich and heavily laden with fat, carbohydrates and proteins. They also use cashew-nut paste or almond paste along with a generous amount of ghee.
Hence mughlai recipes are said to be one of the richest among the world cuisines. Mughlai recipes have a distinct aroma that is quite captivating.
Ginger garlic paste
Cloves and cardamom 1"
- Wash and soak rice and green gram together
- Make a powder of the dry spices, except bay leaf. Make a coarse paste of onion, chilies, ginger and garlic. Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the onion paste and bay leaf. Fry till golden brown. Add the spices powder, curry leaves and mix.
- To this, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add the soaked rice and green gram. Add the salt and cook till done.
- Garnish with cashew nuts fried in butter.
MUGHLAI ALU RECIPE
Potatoes peeled and cubed
Cashewnut soaked in1/4 cup water
Black cumin seed
Chopped corainder leaves
- Fry the potatoes to a deep golden brown and keep aside.
- Grind cashewnuts, ginger and garlic to a paste in a grinder. Keep this paste aside.
- Heat some of the oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add black cumin and bay leaf. Wait for 30 seconds till cumin seeds stop spluttering.
- Add onions and cook on low flame till onions turn soft but do not let them turn brown.
- Add turmeric and garam masala. Stir to mix well. Add the paste prepared earlier. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add yogurt and stir fry till water evaporates.
- Cook till it dries. Add milk and about 1/2 cup of water to the gravy.
- Boil and simmer for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes and chopped coriander to the garvy and simmer on low flame.
- Cook on low flame till the gravy thickens and coats all the potatoes. Serve hot with nan or paranthas.
BAINGAN KA BHARTA RECIPE
roasted in the oven on a pan until the insides are soft and the eggplant skin is charred
Ginger finely chopped
Tomatoes finely chopped
Red chilli powder
Corainder leaves for granishing
- Remove the charred skin. Sweating helps to remove the skin easily. Mash the eggplant into a pulp.
- In a wok or heavy skillet, heat oil. Add the onions, and cook until they become brown.
- Add the chopped ginger, coriander, cumin and red chilli powders.
- Add the tomatoes and fry till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Add the eggplant pulp, lime juice and salt to taste. Stir.
- Cover and cook on low heat.
- Garnish with garam masala and coriander leaves.
- Serve with any indian bread.
SEEKH KEBABS RECIPE
Finely minced lamb or beef
Red chilli, ground clove, cinnamon and cumin powders
Corainder powder, garam masala
Fresh green chillis chopped
Mint leaves chopped
Egg lightly beaten
Oil for grilling and greazsing the skewers
- In a food processor, process the bread into bread crumbs.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the oil) to the food processor and process the mixture into a thick paste.
- Taste (if you can!) and adjust the salt. Keep the mixture in the fridge, overnight.
- Grease the skewer.
- Take some mixture in your hand and using your palm and fingers, press the mixture on the skewer, to form a sausage shaped kebab, about 5 inches long.
- Similarly, make more kebabs along the length of the skewer. Work fast, as the meat tends to fall off.
- Grill for about 20 minutes or until cooked, brushing with oil and rotating the skewers frequently.
CHICKEN HARIYALI OR PALAK GOSHT RECIPE - SPINACH CHICKEN CURRY
Chicken, boneless/skinless, cut into chunks
Crushed black pepper
Kasoori methi crushed
- Grind paste 1 . Mix with yogurt & turmeric powder.
- Marinate the chicken. Cover. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours.Clean spinach.
- Wash it several times in running water. Add 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil.
- As the spinach wilts, switch off the gas. Let it cool down a little.
- Grind to a smooth paste along with cashews, poppy seeds, coriander seeds.
- Heat oil in a pressure pan/cooker or handi. Add all cloves and cinnamon. As the spices leave a wonderful aroma, add onion.
- Saute till golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken along with yogurt. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add crushed black pepper.Now add spinach paste, tomato and 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Pressure cook till 3-4 whistles.Let the pressure drop completely.
- Open the lid. Let it simmer.
- Add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala.
- For a restaurant taste add 1/4 cup of heavy cream.