Leather Industry in India, occupies a place of prominence in the economy in view of its massive potential for employment, growth and exports.
The industry employs 2.5 million people, and a large part of the production is in the small/micro sector.
- This is a USD 12 Billion industry.
- 10% of the world’s leather production comes from India.
- 24% growth projected in the next five years for the Indian Leather industry.
- 55% of workforce employed in the Indian Leather Industry is below 35.
- India is the second largest producer of footwear and leather garments in the world.
- The total production of the Indian leather industry stands at over USD 12 Billion.
- The Indian leather industry accounts for around 12.93% of the world’s leather production of hides/skins.
- India is endowed with 10% of the world’s raw material and its exports constitute about 2% of the world trade.
- Exports are projected to grow at 24% per annum over the next five years.
- Total leather and leather products export from India stood at US$ 5.07 billion in 2020.
- The major markets for Indian leather products were US (17.22%), Germany (11.98%), UK (10.43%), Italy (6.33%), and France (5.94%).
- The total leather and leather products export during April 2000 to February 2021 was US$ 2.98 billion and for the month of February 2021 alone it was US$ 298.87 million.
- During April 2020 to January 2021, products exported include leather footwear component (US$ 165.68 million), leather garments (US$ 261.99 million), and leather goods (US$ 765.82 million).