AFMI has been formed to bring together manufacturers of furniture and create value based improvement opportunities for furniture manufacturing in India. AFMI took the onus and recognized the role that furniture industry has to play in contributing to India's quest for global economy and bring "Made in India: Brand for Furniture" to forefront. In this process AFMI plans to bring a strategic alliance between manufacturers (members), economic partners (suppliers, architects, PMCs, interior designers) and design and research institutes.
VISION:Indian Furniture Industry - the global trendsetters in Design, Quality, Value, Ethics and Sustainability is the main vision of this association.
MISSION:To channelize manufacturers to greater quality standards and newer designs, technology and showcase Indian Furniture manufacturers. The Association of Furniture Manufacturers of India (AFMI) was formed to bring together manufacturers of furniture in India and create value based improvement opportunities for furniture manufacturing in India. This over Rs.6000 crores industry which has shown growth in excess to average industrial growth of India has remained fragmented and without a common platform. Over the years, the industry was restricted to SSI and remained unsupported by large industrial association forums. Although, there were sparks of excellence, both in design and quality, the industry, by and large, remained way behind the global furniture industry.
- AFMI recognizes that the Indian Furniture industry has -
- (a) To give the Indian customers world-class products
- (b) To put the Made-in-India brand for furniture on the global map
- (c) Contribute to India's quest towards the No.1 global economic power position
- Some of the major objectives are:
- (a) Improve quality, design and safety standards
- (b) Develop performance standards for furniture
- (c) Statistical data generation and management of data
- (d) Establish platform for interaction between other allied association forums like IID, IFMA, etc., and organising seminars, lectures and exhibitions
- (e) Knowledge enhancement through alliances with other furniture associations and institutes globally
- (f) Establishing laboratories/libraries
- (g) Representations of furniture industry with Govt.
- (h)Sponsor research and development on usage of new material
- (i) Showcase Indian furniture through collective participation at international exhibitions
- (j) Enhance furniture design capabilities through better interaction and sponsor various design institutes
Tasks:Local networking with professional peers: Members can meet the other players of the industry and can interact with other parties that play a role in the industry like raw material suppliers, vendors, Architects, interior designers, etc. AFMI chapters add value to the membership experience. It is a unique forum for members to network locally with their fellow industry people.The chapters provide many avenues for professional development through monthly meetings.
Know trends in the industry: AFMI acts as a platform where they interact and exchange trends in the industry.
Issues and concerns can be solved: An individual company may not be able to raise its issues but a body of several companies is stronger and hence the issues and concerns can be voiced and solved.
Standards:AFMI has certain standards that the members have to adhere to. All member companies have to meet the set standards. Best practice sharing with local peers through chapter meetings and events, members have the opportunity to talk with peers about practices of the industry as well as discuss the industry challenges.
- In order to be eligible as a member of AFMI, the firm needs to fulfill the following two criteria:
- 1. Manufacturing license for manufacturing in India
- 2. Turnover being in excess of Rs 1 crore per annum