In its 70 years of existence, BAI has been looking out for the needs of the industry, by making positive headway in tackling issues and taking concrete steps like:
Convincing mainly the Central Government and various State Governments to introduce Price Variation Clause in their respective contract documents. Preparing Standard Contract Document among the various departments of the Central and State Governments and their various undertakings and/or departments, have their own different contract conditions documents for their respective works.
It also puts mainly the avoidable hardships on the contracting fraternity.
- BAI has majorly come up with the idea of a Standard Contract Document to be adopted by all agencies. Though the same which was submitted to the Central and State Governments for acceptance which did not produce desired results, BAI now through CIDC has narrowed down the more commonly twelve conditions of contract to be adopted by all agencies. BAI is confident about its acceptance.
- Training of Postgraduate Civil Engineers. BAI is very much instrumental for starting the National Institute of Construction Management and Research (NICMAR), which has established campuses at Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bangalore and Hyderabad and is soon likely to get status of a deemed university.
- Promoting project exports. BAI started the Overseas Construction Council of India (OCCI). OCCI through its members, who are also members of BAI, brought a lot of foreign exchange directly and through Indian labour employed in Gulf countries.
- Correcting the glitches in the revenue collection and avoiding undue harassment to members. In the matter of Sales Tax on Works Contracts, consequent to the 46th Amendment to Constitution, all State Governments were interpreting such amendments to suit their revenue requirements. B.A.I. filed a Written Petition and then the Supreme Court correctly explained the powers of State Governments pursuant to the 46th Amendment and cleared all uncertainties and doubts, bringing relief to the civil engineering and the construction fraternity.
- Fighting very much relentlessly against the applicability of the Provident Fund provisions to the casual and temporary construction workers. BAI has been petitioning the government for the reason and has been suggesting ways and means to successfully implement the Provident Fund provisions in such a way that intended benefit reaches to the casual and temporary construction workers, who are mostly illiterate and mainly migratory in nature. BAI is sanguine that it will attain its goal.
- Publishing a monthly journal called as 'Indian Construction'. Organising mainly the All India Builders' Convention and Exhibition, which is a large gathering of all the members of civil engineering discipline including construction fraternity. These events form a focal point for exchange of ideas and transaction of business. BAI through All India Convention and Exhibition imbibes a sense of brotherhood amongst them. Till date eighteen such Conventions have been organised.
- BAI is an affiliate mainly to the International Federation of Asia and Western Pacific Contractors' Association (IFAWPCA). Being in touch with mostly the latest developments in the international civil engineering and construction industry is one of its achievement. Other constituent members are mostly the apex construction contractors' associations of Australia, Bangladesh, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Nepal, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Philippine, Singapore, Sri Lanka and Thailand.
- BAI is also an affiliate to many national organizations. Employers' Federation of India, Indian Merchants' Chamber, are the one who are among the Indian Roads Congress, Indian Buildings Congress and host of other organisations.
- BAI is having representatives in many organizations. Having permanent representatives on various organisations,mainly of the committees of Bureau of Indian Standards, on committees formed to formulate minimum wages by the Central and State Governments, etc. BAI thereby has been rendering majorly the yeoman services to the cause of industry.
- For smoother liaison and effective approach and interaction with the Central Government and its departments connected with construction industry, BAI has an office in New Delhi.